Tuesday, October 28, 2008

throwing baby in my face

so, i just joined facebook. it is kind of like a three part reunion for me. i have friends from here, friends from oregon, and people i knew from high school. i have noticed that most of the people from the high school group have kids or are married, or both. i still think that i'm too young for that stuff.
on sunday night, my mother and i were on the phone and she had this funny tone about her. she asked me "is there any news you have? is there something you want to tell me?" i asked her to be more specific. then she said "like a baby. are you pregnant?"
first: WHY THE FUCK WOULD I LET MYSELF GET PREGNANT RIGHT NOW! which is what i kept to myself. do i want kids, um...yes and no. now? no. i just moved back home, i'm trying to establish something career wise, and now i'm getting baby thrown in my face.
second: what prompted her to ask this?
why isn't my mother asking my brother, who is 10 years my senior, if he is going to have a baby? why is it that as soon as i turned 28, i start getting the baby pressure?
i am still in awe of the fact that there are people out there who still pressure young women into having children. i know i'm getting upset about an old liberal-feminist issue, but SHEESH, c'mon, my ovaries are not my only asset. i think i'm good for more than making babies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

plus you easily have 5 years to think about it. :)

Heather Ebba said...

you're right